Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Supplement for handicapped children

Child’s Disability Benefit

Non-refundable Tax Credits

Sécurité du revenu

Daycare Subsidies

Computer Subsidy

Shelter Allowance Program

 Programme de soutien à la famille


Programme de soutien à la famille.  This subsidy is managed and provided by the CIUSSS (formerly CLSC) of the territory you reside in. Its purpose is to enable families that have children with disabilities to acquire respite services. The annual funding a family is eligible to receive is based on the annual evaluation identifying the needs of a child. The subsidy is allotted in two installments and families must then provide proof of receipts describing how the subsidy was spent

There are two subsidies in Quebec for children with a disability: one from the provincial government, and one from the federal government:

  • The supplement for handicapped children.  This provincial subsidy is managed through the Régie des rentes du Québec. The amount is fixed and non-taxable, regardless of the severity of the child’s disability.  The subsidy, which amounts to 171$ per month, can be obtained on a monthly basis or every three months. To obtain this subsidy, families must fill out the form entitled Application for a supplement for handicapped children.  The first section of the form must be filled out by the parent, the second section must be filled out by a professional.  You require an official diagnosis to obtain this subsidy.NB: This subsidy is given when  the child’s disability severely impairs daily activities.  Most children with an ASD diagnosis will qualify, but children diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome might have their request denied.  The parents must then give more information and assessment reports as to how activities are limited.You can get the form on the  RRQ Web site, or at your local CLSC or Régie des rentes du Québec office.

  • The Child’s Disability Benefit is a federal subsidy. The aid is non-taxable and can go up to $208.66 per month ($2,504 per year) per eligible child.  Only low to modest-income families can take advantage of this subsidy. To make a demand, the family must fill out the T2201 “Disability Tax Credit Certificate” form.  Once the form has been sent to the Canada Revenue Agency, it is put in the parent’s income tax file, thus making that parent eligible for the subsidy.  If the form is not in the parent’s income tax file, the government does not recognise that family as having a child with a disability.

  • Both the provincial and federal government also offer non-refundable tax credits. In the case of the federal government, you have to fill out the above-mentioned T2201 form.  As for the provincial government, you must fill out TP-752.0.14 “Certificate Respecting an Impairment form.Please don’t forget to mention that you have a child with a disability to the accountant or other professional preparing your income tax report to make sure you get everything you are entitled.

Sécurité du revenu:

When the child becomes of age, the family loses the federal and provincial government financial benefits, but the child the becomes eligible for the sécurité du revenu (welfare). It is advised to get the demand forms at the local sécurité du revenu office 1 to 2 months before the child turns 18.  There are indeed specific forms to fill out, as well as supplemental assessment forms to be filled out by the disabled child’s physician. Please make sure that the doctor writes “Autism” in the diagnosis box instead of PDD or Asperger’s syndrome, since the Sécurité du revenu office does not recognise the last two terms.  The child will be deemed as having a severely limited capacity for employment and will receive up to $883 per month.

Please make sure you have the following document when making your demand:

  • Social insurance number
  • Birth certificate
  • Completed forms

You will then get an appointment where the agent will ask you how much rent and board your child will pay. This is normal procedure.  In the Montreal area, your child is expected to pay around $450 for room, board and utilities.  The agent will also ask you if the money will be deposited in the child’s bank account, or, should he or she not have one, in yours.

Please note that a welfare demand may be refused if the child is registered for over 2 classes per semester in a post-secondary institution.


Daycare Subsidies

There are two subsidies to help with the integration of a child living with a disability in daycare services.

The daycare must be licensed and subsidized by the Ministère de la Famille, des Aînés et de la Condition féminine and is responsible for both subsidy demands.  For any information on this subject, daycare services can contact the Ministère at 514-873-7200. It is also possible for parents to call them at 1-877-216-6206.

  • A $32.84 to $38.35/day subsidy (depending on the type of daycare service) to hire a shadow 2-3 hours a day.  The daycare services may also use this amount to reorganise in order to foster integration, such as lower the educator/child ratio.
  • A one-time $2,200 subsidy to purchase material and games that encourage stimulation and integration.

The daycare service must prove how the money is used once the subsidy is granted.

Computer Subsidy (for students)

→ If your child attends a public school, you must contact the management of the school, so that a request can be made with the ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport.

→ If your child attends a private school, a form called “Application for a Special Needs Allowance” is available at the ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport. You can request the form by phone at 1-866-946-6006 or download it yourself from the Ministry’s Website (“Aide financière aux études” section) at and click on “Other programs”.

In both cases, the use of a computer must be recommended by an occupational or speech therapist as a tool which assists to complete school work. The child’s diagnosis must be confirmed by a doctor.

Shelter Allowance Program

The Shelter Allowance Program provides financial aid to low-income families who spend too great a proportion of their income on lodging.

The maximum amount allotted is $80 per month.  The following people are eligible:

  • Families with at least one child;
  • People of 55 and over.

You must file your income tax report to receive this subsidy.

For more information, please visit the Société d’habitation du Québec Web site or contact them at 514-864-7020.

Our sponsors